You may have heard this expression related to people who are supposedly imagining their symptoms, or those considered to have emotional imbalances (often because the doctor doesn’t know the cause). However, sometimes the reason a patient’s symptoms are actually “all in their head.” I’m not referring to emotional issues though. I’m referring to one of the most overlooked parts of our body. When it comes to this area, there are three main concerns that can have a profound impact on one’s health.
The overlooked part of the body that can cause wide-ranging ill health is the mouth. The three main reasons are as follows:
1) Mercury amalgams
If you have a “silver” (called “silver” because of the color) filling in your mouth, it contains elemental mercury. Mercury is an extremely toxic metal, and therefore these fillings can pose serious health risks. Essentially, mercury vapors can seep from the filling and the toxic metal can then be inhaled. Symptoms of mercury toxicity are as follows: mood swings, nervousness, irritability, emotional changes, insomnia, headaches, numbness, tingling, abnormal sensations, muscle twitching, tremors, weakness, muscle wasting, chronic/recurrent yeast infections, and decreased mental functions. This is an accepted list of symptoms and conditions, but don’t assume that it’s complete. When the immune system reacts to a toxic metal, it’s possible that many other symptoms can arise. Additionally, it’s possible that mercury can aggravate an existing condition, especially one of autoimmune origin.
Keep in mind that the FDA considers mercury fillings to be safe for adults and children ages six and above. However, it’s very possible that it’s causing your ill health, despite it being considered safe for those age groups. And although you may want to remove those fillings, the consequences can actually be worse because of the risk of inhaling excessive amounts of mercury during the removal process. Seek a qualified, competent, licensed healthcare practitioner if you have concerns with mercury toxicity.
An infection anywhere in the body is obviously a problem. Typically, people assume an infection only presents with an acute fever, muscle aches, stomachache, fatigue, etc. However, low-grade infections aren’t as easy to recognize. Many low-grade infections can cause digestive upsets (mistaken for food sensitivities), joint pain (mistaken for muscle imbalances and weaknesses), brain fog, depressed mood, skin rashes, muscle aches, headaches, hormone imbalances, chronic fatigue, chronic diseases (e.g.: heart disease) and more.
Very often the location of a low-grade infection is in the mouth. Usually, it’s of bacterial or yeast/fungal origin. The reason mouth infections can be so problematic is because the microbes aren’t necessarily confined to your mouth. The mere act of swallowing can transfer some of these microbes to your GI tract and then further into systemic circulation where they can have far-reaching effects (as described above). Also, simply brushing your teeth won’t correct the problem. And it’s not always obvious that a mouth infection even exists. Lastly, even if you’re diligent about getting rid of an infection in your mouth, you’ll need to make sure your significant other does the same…
3) Root Canals
Root canals can pose a problem for the same reasons mentioned in number two above. That’s because when the root is sealed off, it can harbor harmful microbes that cause problems systemically. And if there’s an infection in a root canal, it may be much more difficult to resolve. Many holistic practitioners recommend implants instead of root canals for this reason. Keep in mind, this is a hotly debated topic and the American Association of Endodontists recommend root canals. I think it’s worth doing your own research.
I hope this article helped shed some light on potential reasons for any unexplained health conditions you may be facing.
Dr. Rob D’Aquila – NYC Chiropractor – Diplomate and Board-certified Teacher of the International College of Applied Kinesiology